Monday evening, after work in Mr. Hide’s office
– Hi folks! Now we have a third elephant on the screen. What that means I’ll come back to. But first let me express my admiration for your efforts, you do not only handle your normal duties at work but also on top of that you spend all free time here to improve the company’s business. I know Mr. Hide is as impressed as I am. And grateful!
– We are happy to do this Dr. See, as we thereby hope to save our jobs.
– Ok. We’ve come pretty far on this journey. So, let me summarize our achievements until now. We started out by identifying our three customer groups, which were major accounts, mid-sized accounts and ad hoc accounts in terms of their various impacts on resource consumptions, turn-overs, discounts, profitability and growth potential. Remember?
– Yes, Dr. See, we do!
– By having done so we realized that the key accounts, A-group’s task, were overrepresented in almost all categories except for profitability and growth potential. While mid-sized accounts showed the best profitability as well as the best growth potential, B-group’s task was that. The C-group handled the ad-hoc accounts, which is occasional business, initiated by those accounts themselves, without any efforts on our behalf.
– Back to our elephants now, which in the beginning was one big lonely animal, representing our key-accounts. After a while, depending on your findings a new and smaller elephant took place on the screen and almost moved the bigger one out from there. And now we have a third elephant on the screen, a baby elephant, that we don’t know much about, only that it represents business opportunities, that should be taken care of.
– Yes, Sir but what’s the conclusion?
– I’ll tell you, this is the most important knowledge any business responsible person should not only know, but also act accordingly to. Focusing is essential, but only after having broadened your mind to see what other option are available. First and only then focusing is a blessing. Got it!
– Yes, Sir.
– Very well. Now we have three focus areas with three different action plans and those we’ll discuss when we meet next time, which is next Saturday lunch. Ok?
– Sure is, Sir.
Dedicated his full life to business in Sweden as well as in the US, Germany and Switzerland. Also a number assignments all over the world.
Experiences; salesman, sales leader, marketing director, vice president and CEO.